Nokia 5800 Firmware Update v.30 Finally ArrivesFiled Under Nokia 5800 News
Yeah.. the long awaited firmware update v.30.0.11 / v30.2.11 for Nokia 5800 XpressMusic finally arrive today. The firmware is available via OTA for some product codes and via NSU for the others. But its still not available for all product codes/ geographical locations as of now.
The official changelog is not available anywhere but a big change we noticed is the update allows you to view your email on the Homescreen now. General speed and responsiveness improvements and bug fixes can also be seen. But still no sign of much rumored widgetized homescreen or kinetic scrolling as of yet.
How to Update the Firmware?
One of the following methods should work fine for you-
1) Via OTA: Just enter *#0000# on your dial screen, then go to options- check for updates.
2) Via NSU: Download and install Nokia Software Updater application, connect the phone to the PC and check for update.
If both methods doesn’t work, the update may not be available as of now for your product code/ geographical location/ carrier. Wait for few hours/ days and try again.
Note: The Nokia 5800 XpressMusic does have UDP (User Data Preservation), which means you should not lose your settings and data after the update, but its still a good idea to backup your phone before updating, just in case if something goes wrong.
We will update the post with more improvements as and when found. Kindly share your experience with the new firmware update with others in the comments.
Cheangelog noticed so far:
- Email plugin for homescreen email notification (set homescreen mode to shortcuts). You may need to hard reset the phone to make it work.
- Noticeable speed and response improvements
- Better music quality, onscreen touch volume control
- Improved browser, faster surfing, fullscreen web has now transparent arrow
- Correct icons for the call lists (mobile, fixed, etc.)
- The portrait/ landscape switch is pretty fast now
- More free RAM available now