Winrar for Nokia 5800: Zip/ Unzip Files on your PhoneFiled Under Nokia 5800 Applications
How many times have you encountered a zip/rar file while browsing for apps/games/themes for your 5800? You have probably lost count of it and so have we. This is kinda frustrating when we are browsing directly from our Nokia 5800s and there is no way for uncompressing the downloaded files.
We were scouting the web in search of an app to handle compressed files on our phone and thats when we came across one of the better known compression tools- Winrar. Winrar, doesn’t need any introduction, does it? Anyone who has ever used a PC/Mac should be familiar with this powerful tool. We tried this app on our Tube 5800s and it works just as fine as its desktop counterpart.
The winrar/ JZipMan application features a very easy-to-use explorer type interface making it easy to locate a zip/rar file, stored on either the phone memory or memory card. We were very much impressed to see the wide range of formats supported by the application (rar, zip, jar and even gif).
Further the app can even compress the files and thus the app can basically handle all your compression/uncompression needs on your 5800. We were particularly impressed by the speed of both compression and uncompression on our 5800s. The application supports all Symbian 5th Edition Phones like Nokia 5800, N97, 5530 etc.
Steps to pack/ unpack the files:
1) Open the application, you will see the screenshot #3 above as your first screen. Hit “options- back” to select the drive (see screenshot #2). Alternatively, you can also use “options-path” for this.
2) To compress a file, choose the file(s) by “options- select” then go to “options- list” to see the files you have selected and then “options- pack”.
3) To uncompress an already compressed file, select the file, options-select and then extract.
Tip: If you are getting annoying messages everytime for permission to access the user data, this is because its a java based application. You can stop it by Menu > Settings > Application Manager > Installed Apps > Winrar > click Options > Suite Settings and change the settings as per your needs.
What We Like?
- Support for wide range of compression formats
- Ability to both compress and uncompress
- Speed of compression/uncompression
What we hate?
- File manager type browsing may not be to everyone’s taste
- Its little complicated to understand the steps and features
The Tube 5800 version of Winrar is a very handy application and a must have app for 5800ers who browse heavily from their phones. It has impressive feature set and the app is going to stay on our 5800s for long. While we are no strangers to file manager type browsing, a user interface which could search and list compressed files on the phone would have been much better and easier for day to day usage.
However, considering the fact that this is a free app, it delivers more features than that can be expected from a freebie. We recommend this app to our readers, which adds to the spectrum of supported features of our beloved 5800s.
The java based setup file can be downloaded for free from here.